First semester has come and gone already, and the year will start to move by more quickly with all the activities spring will bring. I am proud of the many student accomplishments I have seen so far this school year in our schools, and I would like to share a few of those with you here:
- BHS senior Anja Van Huffel Gouldlock got a perfect score of 36 on her ACT Reading Test and a composite score of 32, placing her in the 97th percentile in both US Rank and State Rank.
- BHS sophomore Orlando Thompson had his first book published, which he wrote when he was a Freshman! The Mask of Strategy, a science fiction thriller, is available worldwide on book retailer websites such as Amazon and Barnes & Noble. He maintains a 4.0 GPA and is involved in various extracurricular activities.
- Six BHS senior Auto Tech students have already secured jobs in the industry: Cameron Allen, Joe Caporale, Ian Jones, Cameron Lucky, Nick Schroeder, Shemar Stewart, and William Tubbs. Because of this accomplishment, Advance Auto Parts gave each of them complete tools sets worth more than $800 a piece.
- Glendale third grader Leah Jackson was the winner of the youngest division in the 2019 MLK Oratorical Contest and delivered her winning speech at the 35th annual Ohio Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Commemorative Celebration at Trinity Episcopal Church in Downtown Columbus.
- Several students scored a Rating I, or superior rating at the Ohio Music Education Association’s Solo and Ensemble competition in January. Each of the following students earned this rating with an outstanding performance that exemplifies a truly musical expression: Holly Bennett, Christian Davis, Shabrionna Fadzl, Anja Gouldlock, Zoie Gouldlock, Mackenzie Jones, Christian Palomin-Villanueva, Indya Reed, and Lanyah Terry.
- Two BHS seniors, Sandra Cisneros Cabrera and/or JoseMaria Acosta earned the Seal of Biliteracy-- a first in the Bedford Schools! If you see, please make sure that you congratulate them on this great honor. This award recognizes students who have studied and attained proficiency in two or more languages by high school graduation.
- Senior Bedford Bearcat football player Devin Hibbitt was selected First Team All-Ohio Division II and Player of the Year for the Lake Erie League. Devin maintains a 3.8 GPA and has signed a National Letter of Intent to Wayne State University.
- The BHS Varsity Golf Team, coached by Levi Crozier, won the LEL Championship.
The BHS Boys Soccer Team were named Lake Erie League (LEL) Co-Champions and Coach Nick Shaefer was named LEL Boys Soccer Coach of the Year.
The BHS Bowling Team, coached by Steve Schuster and Krista Thomas, won the LEL Championship in their first year of league participation.
- Heskett’s Boys 8th Grade Basketball Team, coached by William Pullman, won the Junior LEL Championship title.
- BHS senior swimmer Olivia Pliske signed a letter of intent in November to attend Ashland University on an athletic scholarship.
- Four Bearcat senior football players signed National Letters of Intent on February 5th, which was National Letter of Intent Signing Day: Romello Tompkins to Marietta College, Andre Bethea to Tiffin University, Jasean Calloway to West Virginia Wesleyan & Devin Hibbitt to Wayne State.
Our students have a bright future ahead of them! I am looking forward to what second semester brings. In addition to student achievements, our Central Primary School PE teacher Wendy Whaley was named the 2019 Elementary Physical Education Teacher of the Year by the Ohio Association for Health, Physical Education, Recreation and Dance, and our BCSD School Social Worker Faith Gordon was named the Ohio School Social Worker of the Year by the Ohio School Social Work Association. We are all proud of them for earning these statewide recognitions!