Originally the district's high school, Central Primary School provides instruction in grades Kindergarten through three.
Built in 1905, with additions in 1959 and 1965, Central underwent a major renovation of its original section in 1990. The project involved updating plumbing and electrical systems, installation of an indoor stair tower to provide more convenient access to the rest of the building, and the complete remodeling of all classrooms. The building was also retrofitted with new windows, a new heating system, and a new roof. The project cost $1.5 million, over a three year period and was paid with funds generated by a Permanent Improvement Levy that voters approved in 1986.
In 2003, several outdoor improvements were made at Central School. This included installation of a new playground and play area, expansion of the visitor parking area on Woodrow Ave., addition of a combination parking area for staff and a separate drop-off for students with special needs, a permanent Safety Town installation, and a new roadway exclusively for school bus traffic.